If you love everything bagel seasoning, you're going to love this easy recipe for everything bagel Goldfish crackers!
They are so good as a snack or party food, but are also a great cracker for tomato or broccoli soup, and can even be used as croutons or to add crunch in place of nuts in some of your favorite simple salads!
Ready to have more snacking fun with Goldfish crackers? Check out my recipes for spicy cheddar Goldfish and Old Bay Goldfish recipes! You can even combine this recipe with either of those to make spicy everything Goldfish crackers or Old Bay everything bagel Goldfish crackers.
About This Recipe
If you love everything bagel seasoning as much as I do, you've probably tried it on eggs and avocado toast and sandwiches and breads and hummus and fresh veggies and so much more. It's an everything bagel world and we're just living in it.
Everything bagel seasoning is great on pretty much, well, everything. No, that's not how it got its name (it turns out the origins of everything bagel seasoning are murky and debatable at best!) but it is one of those things that just feels true.
So why not combine our favorite everything bagel seasoning with Goldfish crackers, one of the all time best snack foods?
Using "original" goldfish crackers lets the everything bagel flavor here shine. They're light and buttery, crispy and crunchy, with the winning combo of garlic, onion, sesame, and poppy seeds on the outside.
There are few things that garlic and onion don't improve and Goldfish crackers are no different!
Here are the ingredients that you'll need to make these everything goldfish crackers! See recipe card for quantities.
- Original Goldfish crackers - "Original" flavor Goldfish crackers. The ones in the blue bag. I only recently learned these existed and they're the perfect blank canvas for fun Goldfish flavors!
- Unsalted Butter - Goldfish are already pretty salty and we're going to add more salt with the everything bagel topping, so I recommend using an unsalted butter here. That said, if all you have is salted butter, by all means, use it. Just reduce or skip adding any additional salt.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning Blend - I used my homemade everything bagel seasoning here because it's salt free. This means I can add the right amount of salt for this recipe! If you're using store bought everything bagel seasoning, look for one where salt is fairly far down the ingredient list, otherwise skip adding salt to this recipe.
- Salt - I use Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt which half as salty as other brands. If you're using a different brand of salt, even a different brand of kosher salt, cut the amount of salt in half.
Making these everything bagel Goldfish crackers is super simple. You hardly need a recipe. But I'm gonna give you one anyway because you deserve it!
Start by melting the butter in a small microwave safe bowl in short bursts. That means 20-25 seconds to start, then reducing to 5-10 second bursts, stirring in between.
When some slivers of butter are floating in the melted butter, stop microwaving and stir until they melt completely. Set it aside while you make the everything bagel seasoning powder.
While you could just use whole everything bagel seasoning, the powder does a much better job of sticking to the crackers!
I have a small, cheapo coffee grinder that I use just for spices — it's perfect here. You could also use a mortar and pestle, mini food processor, whatever works for you.
Combine everything bagel seasoning and salt in a small coffee or spice grinder.
Pulse until the seasoning blend resembles a fine powder.
TIP: Pulse the spice grinder in 3-5 second bursts, don't run it continuously. The sesame seeds have oil in them, and you don't want them to start turning into a paste!
This fine everything bagel powder will do a much better job of coating and sticking to the Goldfish crackers as the butter dries.
Mix the everything bagel powder with the melted butter so it doesn't get clumpy on the crackers.
Pour the melted butter over the Goldfish crackers and stir until they're evenly coated.
You may notice some of the seasoning blend sinking to the bottom of the bowl. I use a Spoonula with a thin flexible edge so I can scoop it up as I stir, making sure nothing gets left behind!
Pour the Goldfish out onto a sheet pan and pat them out into an even layer. You don't need to line the sheet pan, but you can if you're worried about things sticking.
It's okay if some of the crackers are on top of each other, but try to avoid any big clumps — they'll take much longer to dry out.
Place the sheet pan in a 250F oven to "bake" the crackers for about 30-40 minutes, stirring or shaking the pan every 10-15 minutes or so they don't stick to each other. (You're not really baking them, you're just drying them out.)
Once the crackers are completely dried throughout, take the pan out of the oven and let them cool completely before storing them.
TIP: If your oven runs hot, set it to 225F or even as low as 200F. It may take the crackers a little longer to dry, but this will keep them from browning or burning as you leave them in longer.
The Best Way to Grind Everything Bagel Seasoning
To grind the everything bagel seasoning into a fine powder, there are a few different tools you can use. I recommend the coffee grinder, but I wanted to provide a few other options in case you don't have one!
- Small Electric Coffee Grinder - I have a a cheapo bladed electric coffee grinder that I use just for spices; it works perfectly here! When you finish pulsing the everything bagel seasoning, flip the grinder upside down and tap it a few times. The powder will collect in the lid and you can easily set it aside until you're ready to use it.
- Mini Food Processor - A small 3-cup food processor or even a 5-cup mini food processor would work well here!
- Mortar & Pestle - A mortar and pestle requires a bit of elbow grease but can absolutely break down those sesame and poppy seeds!
I don't recommend using manual twist-and-turn handheld grinders here. While they're great at grinding larger spices and herbs, the sesame and poppy seeds here are a bit too small for them!
As long as your homemade everything bagel Goldfish been completely dried throughout before you store them, they have about the same shelf life as regular Goldfish crackers.
You don't want any trapped moisture when you store them!
Yep! The cheddar flavor goes nicely with the everything bagel seasoning.
If you're finding a lot of the everything bagel seasoning blend is falling off, it just means you didn't grind it finely enough. Make sure you have a nice fine powder!
Everything Bagel Goldfish
- Spice grinder (or food processor, coffee grinder, mortar and pestle, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Have a large sheet pan ready.
- Melt butter in 7-10 second bursts in the microwave. When just a few bits of solid butter remain, stop microwaving and stir until butter is completely melted.
- In a small electric spice grinder, pulse the everything bagel seasoning and salt (if using) until you have a fine powder, then stir the powder into the melted butter.
- Pour the Goldfish crackers into a large mixing bowl, then stir the everything bagel butter into the crackers until they are fully coated.
- Spread the Goldfish out on the sheet pan and use a spatula to arrange them in an even layer so they don't clump together.
- Bake for 20-40 minutes (or longer, if needed) until the Goldfish are dried throughout. Gently shake or stir the pan every 10-15 minutes to prevent sticking.
- Remove and let cool completely before eating. Store in an airtight container.