When it comes to baking and cooking, we're all constantly learning. And sometimes you need to keep referencing the same things over and over again until you remember them. Here are the links and resource pages I find myself visiting as I'm troubleshooting recipes, developing my skills, and thinking about how I talk and write about food.
If you're looking for my recommended cookbooks or baking books, click here.
This page may contain affiliate links.
- Ingredient Weight Chart [King Arthur Flour]
- Flour Weight Chart [Bob's Red Mill]
- The Best and Most Accurate Way to Measure Wet and Dry Ingredients for Baking [Serious Eats]
- What to Do If a Recipe Doesn't Include Weight Measurements [Bon Appetit]
- 8 Things You Need to Know Before Doubling a Cookie Recipe [The Kitchn]
- Bulk Fermentation, Explained [King Arthur Flour]
- What to Use Instead of Buttermilk [Taste of Home]
- Do Buttermilk Substitutes Work in Baking? [Serious Eats]
- A Comprehensive-ish Guide to Baking Substitutions [Bon Appetit]
- How to Make Sourdough Bread [The Kitchn]
- The Ultimate Sourdough Starter Guide [Joshua Weissman, YouTube]
- Feeding Your Sourdough Starter [King Arthur Flour]
- How to Switch Your Sourdough to a New Flour [Cultures for Health]
- How to Convert Any Recipe to Use Sourdough [True Sourdough]
anti-diet culture reading
- 27 Responses to (Never-Ending) Diet Talk
- Instead of Praising Weight Loss, Try This
- Health at Every Size (HAES) Resource Finder
- 6 Ways I Was Taught to Be a Good Fatty (And Why I Stopped)
- Why I've Chosen Body Liberation Over Body Love
- How Should a Health Brand Talk About Weight?
- Everything You Know About Obesity is Wrong
- The Body is not an Apology
- Happy Fat: Taking Up Space in a World That Wants to Shrink You
books on food and recipe development
- The Bagel: The Surprising History of a Modest Bread
- Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking
- The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chef
- The Flavor Equation: The Science of Great Cooking Explained in More Than 100 Essential Recipes
LAST UPDATED: 9/15/2021