south carolina bbq sauce
This mustard based bbq sauce is sweet and tangy with just a bit of a kick. Make sure to let it cool in the fridge overnight to give the flavors time to mingle and mellow out a little.
Squeeze bottle (8 oz)
- ½ cup yellow mustard
- ¼ cup dijon mustard with mustard seeds
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup brown sugar (tightly packed)
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBSP ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (or Marmite, optional)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp red pepper powder (or cayenne)
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp seasoned salt (season all)
- 1 dash hot sauce (optional)
- freshly cracked black pepper (a few grinds)
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Stir well to combine and break up and dissolve the brown sugar.
Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Then reduce to a simmer.
Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove the pot from the heat and let cool slightly before transferring to an airtight bottle or jar.
- If you're in a rush to use this BBQ sauce right away, transfer it to your preferred container and then place the container in an ice bath to cool it down quickly.